This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I legally tell my supervisor to mind his own business? Nevada

Last edited by newbie123; 05-03-2008, 09:01 PM.

Originally posted by newbie123 View Post
    Can I legally tell my supervisor without getting fired to stay out of my business after he keeps asking me about my home life? I tried ignoring him, but he keeps bothering me. I told him to mind his own business and my personal life is none of his business.
    You sure can, but he can legally terminate you for doing so.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Here's an idea

You could tell him all about your "personal life." including a picture of your "boyfriend" a 6'9" ,37 year old, xxxl shirt wearing, 37" inseam pants toting, twice divorced, post traumatic stress disordered,insanely jealous, tactical paramedic with a flat top you could stand a glass on and a mug that looks like he's gonna bite the camera. I can hook you up with that pic real easy since it's on my concealed carry handgun permit.
      Last edited by Stridor; 05-01-2008, 03:37 PM.

Comment

or you could send him this

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ns/funny-1.jpgThis might get the message across.
        Last edited by Stridor; 05-01-2008, 04:31 PM.

Comment

or you could try the suttle approach

This should convey the message.
          Last edited by cbg; 05-01-2008, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I agree with mlane that you can certainly tell him to but he can discipline you & even fire you for doing so. Sorry.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Sorry, Stridor, but there are limits.
              The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Newbie, who is who? In that, are you male or female? I presume from what you have said that you are female, am I correct? I also presume that he is male, from what you said.

Sounds like he's hitting up on you. Just tell the supervisor that you feel very uncomfortable telling him personal details about your life that you really don't think he needs to know as it doesn't affect your work style or work quality and certainly conflicts with your work ethics.

If that don't work, look for another job and possibly file a grievance. Better than introducing him to your BF. BFs generally get hostile with other guys start hitting up on their women.
                I don't believe what I write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for debate purposes only, be sure to verify with your own research.
                Keep in mind that the information provided may not be worth any more than either a politician's promise or what you paid for it (nothing).
                I also may not have been either sane or sober when I wrote it down.
                Don't worry, be happy.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/index.html is a good resource!

Comment

Exactly what kind of personal questions is the person asking? It does make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie123 View Post
                    Can I legally tell my supervisor without getting fired to stay out of my business after he keeps asking me about my home life? I tried ignoring him, but he keeps bothering me. I told him to mind his own business and my personal life is none of his business.
                    (1) Why is your boss interested in your personal life?

(2) Have you informed your HR representative or your boss's manager about the situation?

Comment

"I don't discuss my personal life at work. Please stop asking."

Every time.
                      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I'm also wondering what kinds of questions are being asked. Everyone has a different degree of tolerance for sharing personal information with others. There is a world of difference between a supervisor who every Monday asks what you did over the weekend or how the family is doing and one who asks questions of a sexual nature.
                        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X