Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Resident of CA, company headquarters based in N California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Resident of CA, company headquarters based in N California

    I recently left my job to join another organization. I gave 3 weeks notice and did not receive my paycheck on my final day (CA rule). Still waiting in fact - 5 days later. The NJ state rule is that final paycheck is issued during the next pay cycle. Which state labor laws govern in my situation? The employee's resident state or company's?

    Thanks in advance.
    Junior Member
    Last edited by parkums; 05-01-2008, 06:52 AM. Reason: typo

  • #2
    The laws of the state in which you live and work.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      Also, it almost never matters legally where the employee's headquarters is. Any time an employer has employees working in a state, the employer has a legal business presence (called "nexus") in that state. Since your employer has CA employees, your employer is legally a CA employer for all purposes and your final paycheck payment is due based on CA law.

      Politely follow up with your former employer until you get paid. You might then consider filing a claim for a waiting time penalty.
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.