This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Allowed to take Vacation after giving two-weeks Missouri

I am an hourly employee and I had placed in a request for my 5 day vacation a few weeks back. It had been OK'd by my supervisor and everything was set. Well in teh meantime I have since found another job and given a written two-weeks notice. My vacation is supposed to start tomorrow and just today they are saying there will be consiquences if I take it, and that our handbook says this. Well I have gone through the handbook, and it does not! I have followed procedure and am still getting punished for it. I knew my compnay was shady (hence the reason for leaving) but this takes the cake. Can they do this?

Originally posted by JPeanut503 View Post
    I am an hourly employee and I had placed in a request for my 5 day vacation a few weeks back. It had been OK'd by my supervisor and everything was set. Well in teh meantime I have since found another job and given a written two-weeks notice. My vacation is supposed to start tomorrow and just today they are saying there will be consiquences if I take it, and that our handbook says this. Well I have gone through the handbook, and it does not! I have followed procedure and am still getting punished for it. I knew my compnay was shady (hence the reason for leaving) but this takes the cake. Can they do this?
    There isn't anything shady about whjat your employer is doing. Of all the companies I have worked for, not one would allow someone who has given their notice to take vacation. You are not getting punished for anything. It is up to the employer to decide when you take your vacation not you.
    Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

No Vacation

I would be curious to know what consequences there could be to an employee that is already leaving. What could they possibly do to you?

Comment

If you fail to show up to work, they'll either take it as a NC/NS, or more likely they will accept your resignation early (either way, you don't get paid if you don't go to work).

They do not have to allow you to use your vacation time through your two-week notice. I also have never heard of an employer doing so.

Comment

Also, in Mo. the "earning" of vacation is treated as a contractual matter so whether you get the payout of your vacation on termination depends on the agreement between the parties.

I know this wasn't your question but it's a just for your info.
          Last edited by Betty3; 04-30-2008, 08:06 PM.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X