This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Lunch Periods New Hampshire

Where I work, ( im still a minor if it makes a difference ) on Sundays I usually work a 7-3 shift, or if not that a 12-8 shift. Every time I work the 7-3 shift they give an hour unpaid lunch.

When I get the 12-8 shift which are the same amount of hours as 7-3 a certain boss says you only get a 30 minute break.

Why this confuses me, is on my schedule it says under the shift 7 hours. Since 12-8 is an eight hour shift that means Im entitled an hour lunch and they are technically making me work 30 more minutes that I am scheduled which is 7.5 hours.

The word around the people I work with is that if you work 7 or more hours you get an hour so 7.5 would still fall under the hour shift. So I was wondering if anybody knew the specifics? Thanks.

Under the law in New Hampshire, an employee who works more than 5 hours consecutively is entitled to a 30 minute meal period. I cannot find anything to suggest that there are different rules for minors. As long as you are receiving a 30 minute break within a shift, it really doesn't matter if you are working 7 hours or 7.5 hours; the employer is legal either way.

If your question is whether or not it is legal to have a different length lunch break depending on which shift you are on, it is, as long as that break is at least 30 minutes for every 5 hours.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Also, just to be clear, is the OP being paid for all hours worked?
      "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
      Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I Dont get paid for the time on Lunch but I do for all other hours, What I was informed by the other people I work with was the hour for a 7 or longer shift, but I wasnt sure.

Comment

Unpaid is ok for lunch as long as you don't do any work during your lunch break.
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X