This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Undeserved warning/Unable to work Connecticut

I received a written warning (1st in my life) today for not following the proper channels of reporting HR issues and questions. This is the result of a conversation that I had with another manager for the company that owns ours. I was not making a formal complaint, but rather talking with her about a less-than-satisfactory workplace. I have a bully boss who takes advantage of the company in every way possible and doesn't believe in following any rules(I could write a book-from unethical interview questions, to not addressing a harassment issue that could affect the safety of employees). This other manager went to the CFO with the details of our conversation and the next thing you know, they met with my boss and HR began an investigation, interviewing 5 employees. The result was a written warning to me. I explained that I had not been making a complaint, but rather having a conversation. The HR lady said that the person I was speaking to was upset. I wonder if the other mgr told the HR lady the part of our conversation where I was having trouble sleeping and experiencing anxiety? My heart was beating so hard today and I felt ill and had to leave. I'm not going to be physically or mentally able to return to that job. I would quit, but like most other people, I would end up losiing my home, etc. I am a cancer survivor and cannot be without health benefits. Would I have a claim against them because I am unable to work due to the stress and physical affects this is having on me? I have a large amount of documentation on other things that the boss has done at work. I had an initial counseling session a few weeks ago to talk about my boss and feel that i should follow-up immediately because I'm going to need documentation for taking sick time off. Can anyone please help? thank you

What kind of claim is it that you are asking about? A disability claim? A legal claim? An unemployment claim? A workers comp claim?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

claim type

I don't really know. I've never been through something like this. My concern is not being able to work and asking for compensation until I can find comparable work. I would probably need documentation from a doctor of being unable to work. I believe that it is a hostile work environment and it has caused others to seek medical help. one man just resigned because he suffered from depression caused by the work situation. at one time, he was going to sue the company but backed off because he didn't want to end his career that way. Does this help to determine what type of claim?

Comment

Well, you don't have any kind of a legal claim. The fact that you feel that the warning was undeserved does not make it illegal for them to write you up.

Additionally, the term, hostile work environment has a very specific meaning under the law and what you describe is not even close to it.

IF you have medical documentation that you are unable to work AND IF you are covered under any kind of disability policy AND IF the documentation supports the need for a leave that is covered under that policy, you can file it. That's about the only kind of claim I can remotely see available to you.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Undeserved warning

thank you for your quick response. I do have short and long-term disability, so I will take a look at those policies. I kind of threw 'hostile work environment' in there, which is a totally separate topic. sorry. But here's a brief example of the work environment: The boss is an intimidating man who yells instead of talking and treats everyone disrespectfully. He has swept under the rug much more important issues than my not talking to the HR person. ie two employees had a physical struggle over a christmas tree and one of them was so mad that he put all the broken glass ornaments in the mailbox of the other employee. my assistant was told not to put mail there because she could be hurt. to me, this was harassment and should have been written up. I appreciate your comments and will do some reading on hostile environments and disability. thanks again

Comment

None of it is illegal harassment. You have no way of knowing when someone else has or has not been written up; it's not made public.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X