Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Hotels in Texas and overtime pay

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hotels in Texas and overtime pay

    My daughter just started to work the front desk at a hotel. She was asked to work over 50 hours next week. When she asked if it would be overtime they said 'no' overtime pay. She is not salary and only getting paid $7.00 hr. Is this legal in Texas for hotel chains to not pay their employees overtime?

  • #2
    If a non-exempt employee (seems so) & the FLSA applies (most likely), she should get paid overtime for all hrs. worked in excess of 40 in one week.

    I would have her contact the Texas Workforce Commission.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      Of course, until it actually happens (she works over 40 hours and she isn't paid overtime pay), there isn't a violation.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      • #4
        Just to be sure -- are all 50 hours in one work week? The work week and calendar week are not necessarily the same.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.