This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift hours North Carolina

I work first shift for a manufacturing company. They have asked me to come in on Sunday night at 2am to help with start up . This is just to hard for me to work these shift hours. I would just want to work my regular first shift hours. What is my legal right and can I refuse to work that Sunday different shift?+

Short of a CBA prohibiting it, the employer has the right to require that you change shifts. I understand that you may prefer not to, but it appears to be a temporary change only. Plus, refusing to do so may lead your employer to believe that you aren't a "team player". Agreeing to do so will indicate that you are.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you for response. I need to clarify myself. I still have to work my firts shift hours and then have to work that 2 am shift on Sundays. If your work only 1st , second or third shift, that is ok. But working different shift hours on different days, is what is getting to me.

Comment

Then it's only one day. In any case, doesn't change the legality of it, though.

Is there a restriction on how many hours an employer can work an adult employee?
        No. Employees 18 years of age and older can be required to work as many hours as an employer wants. The employer has to make sure to pay the employee at least the minimum wage or promised wages (whichever is greater) and pay time and one-half overtime pay based on the employee’s regular rate of pay for all hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek unless the employee is exempt from overtime pay for a specific reason.
        http://www.nclabor.com/wh/faqs.pdf

Of course, the overtime is only an issue if you are a nonexempt (generally speaking, hourly-paid) employee.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X