This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PTO taken AFTER shifts were worked. Tx Texas

Ok, so I work for a clothing retail company in Texas as an Assitant Manager. Our DM refuses to let us bust payroll. This past week we were over 17 hours, so my SSM took it upon herself to use two full PTO days of mine to cut us down 16 hours. Is this illegal to take days from my "bucket" after I worked my full 40 hours that week?

I'm confused and obviously upset and don't know whether or not to call HR. I know PTO is a voluntary benefit for any company, but can they clock you for PTO after your full 40 hours have been worked for that week?

Thanks so much for all advice.

Amby104

You legally have two unrelated issues.
    - You need to be paid for actual hours worked. This is federal law (FLSA). If overtime is worked, then overtime must be paid.
    http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs23.htm
    - PTO is not however a function of federal law. Federal DOL (who manages FLSA) could not care less less what happens to your PTO balance. PTO is a function of company policy and state law. Your state is not my state and I have no idea what TX-TWC thinks about PTO handling.

One last point. I am assuming that you are non-exempt. You might not be. Job titles are legally meaningless. An "assistent manager" may be a fairly important person who qualifies as Exempt under the Executive or Administrative exceptions. Or they could be a title doing scut work. Do you know if your employer considers you to be eligible for paid overtime?
    http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/complian...irpay/main.htm
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

I would have a real problem with my PTO being charged for working.

The employer is not violating employment laws, but what the employer is doing is wrong. Flat out wrong.

Find an attorney.
      Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

That sounds like a real winner of an employer. That's just not right.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X