X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help!! Bunch of questions about NJ situation. New Jersey

Hi,

I am really hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I took a job in NJ less than a year ago. The job posting said "some evening and weekend work required." I inquired about this during the interview process and was told that it would be a specific type of work during a specific amount of time. Needless to say, this was incorrect.

I don't mind the evening work (though there is a whole bunch of it), but I have also been informed that there are a lot of Saturdays that I need to work. First I was told 4 during one time period, after that finished I was told another 4 for this next time period, and after I finished that I was told about 2 more. In the span of 7 months = 10 Saturdays, meaning 10 6-day weeks. Those are in addition to the ones I had already been told about.

I was also told that I had 4 weeks vacation. 2 months into my job, I was told by a colleague that I could only take these 4 weeks during a 2 month period over the summer. My supervisor confirmed this. I was also discouraged from taking any sick or personal days. When I needed to take a personal day due to serious (life threatening) illness of an immediate family member, I was grilled about why I needed to take the day even though I had previously received permission for it.

I would NEVER have accepted this job if I had known that (a) I could not use this vacation time spread out over the year, and (b) I would have to work 10 additional Saturdays. I am in the process of going to graduate school and I truly cannot work on the Saturdays, and (c) they were going to be jerks about personal days.

I am looking for a new job. In the meantime, does anyone know if all of this is legal? I am trying to get out of working these last two Saturdays and I am wondering if I have any legal recourse. My mother seems to think that in the state of NJ, even exempt employees are protected by a law limiting how many hours their supervisor can force them to work per week. I'm not sure if this is correct, I can't seem to find the law.

Also, what about the vacation? Can they really force me to only take the time in the summer? I was never given any employee handbook etc stating when I could and could not use the time. I'm worried about being able to take time for my sister's college graduation.

If you have ANY light to shed - please do! Thanks!

Seek employment elsewhere, everything you posted is quite legal and frankly not that uncommon.
    "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

You can be required to work the # of hours your employer tells you to. If you don't, you can be disciplined up to & including being fired. There are some exceptions on hrs. for certain occupations such as airline pilots, long haul truckers.

They are also allowed to tell you when you can & can't take your vacation.

Nothing illegal here. If you don't like the job rules, you might want to look for other employment.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Your mother is mistaken, BTW. There are only two states with laws limiting how many hours an employee can be required to work, neither of them is NJ, and if I am reading you right what you have described would still be within limits in both of them.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

NJ you say?

Hey, if your field is human services/ behavioral health, PM me and I'll send you job postings.

I just posted in another thread about how great my company is, and we love when people choose to leave crappy companies to come to us. We want the Best.

Comment

I'll pretend I didn't see that.

(No problem as long as you keep it to the PM's.)
            The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Same experience at another NJ job

I am not a lawyer or anything but a past job I had in NJ was very similar requiring 6 days a week for a couple months of the year, gave me a hard time about using any vacation or sick time --requiring that I have another manager from another state come and cover my shop if I wanted vacation time. Telling me my sick time was like taking a vacation (even though I had a doctors note that I needed so many days of recovery after surgery) and denying my vacation. When I won awards and made bonus's they then raised the bar so much higher and I had to do a lot more to get that same recognition. To shorten this story a little, I ended up leaving but they were based out of NY and eventually a manager in NY filed complaints against them. I do not know the outcome of that.
              Check out the deaprtment of labor and workforce development website. If you have time to do a little searching you might find what you are looking for. Also at my current job (in NJ) we were told by our company lawyers that we must have a job description and if certain things are not listed (managerial duties) that we must pay time and a half for extra hours.

Comment

Please watch the dates of the postings - this one is almost a year old.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                Working...
                X