X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Betty3

• Betty3
    replied
    cbg - your reply wasn't there when I started typing my reply. You are correct re severance sometimes payable (ie mass layoff) - I said never required.

Leave a comment:

• Betty3

• Betty3
    replied
    You co. gave you two choices - you have to pick one. Severance is actually never required unless your co. has a policy of paying it on their termination of your employment. However, you wouldn't be terminated by your employer - you would be quitting. You may not get UI if you quit since you were offered a job. However, only the UI commission in your state can make that decision.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    Severance is required by law in some circumstances in MA, but this is not one of them. So unless there is a contract or binding policy that guarantees severance, it would not be required by law; it would be up to the employer whether or not to provide it.

Whether or not you would be entitled to unemployment is something only the DUA can tell you.

Leave a comment:

• molly2004

• Can't relocate to new office: Do I have rights? Massachusetts

I work in a very large company in Boston. My department just reorganized and my job has been relocated to the suburbs, a location I cannot get to because I do not own a car nor can I afford one.

My new boss has given me 60 days to decide what to do: a) find a new job or b) commit to the current one. Since there is no way I can make it out to the new job location, I'll have to find another job. If my 60 days are up and I haven't found anything yet, do I have any rights to severance or unemployment? I'm pretty certain I would be let go. Would my not taking their offer be considered the equivalent of a willful resignation and void any rights I have to severance or unemployment?

Thanks for your input.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X