X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hourly/vs commission only

Hi,

I work for an automobile dealership at an hourly rate in the office. I am also able to do sales at a reduced commission rate; however, on weekends and during auto shows, I am considered "commission only" and am not compensated at my hourly rate. is this legal?

It certainly is complicated. You have to be paid at least minimum wage for all hours worked during the workweek. This is not to say that each and every hour by itself must by paid MW, but rather at the end of the workweek you must be paid at least MW on aggregate. Overtime is complicated because salespeople working for auto dealers do not need to be paid a 50% premium for OT hours, but office workers do. I do not know for certain how DOL would react to one person straddle two different sets of rules like that, but my best guess is that by doing some office work during the workweek, you probably need to be paid at least a 50% premium for the OT hours during the workweek. Past that, we are no longer talking about black letter law but whether or not the employer is following the compensation agreements that they put together. The other question is just how smart the employer is. Having you do both office work and sales during the same workweek is arguably not very smart. A smart employer would make certain that any sales employees stayed 100% inside the Auto Dealer exception.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

what is the auto dealer agreement?

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs11.pdf
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X