This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California question

I am currently working in a call center where i am working 5 days a week, seven and a half hours a day. In total I work 37 1/2 hours a week. They just informed me that now they are going to start forcing us to work an extra day with the same hours. So therefore I would be working 6 days with 45 hours. Can they force me to do this?

They cannot 'force' you unless they put a gun to your head.

But they can fire you if you refuse.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

if i work the 6th day, would that day be overtime?

Comment

I'll let someone who is more familiar with CA overtime laws address that.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Overtime.htm
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by The Franchise13 View Post

I am currently working in a call center where i am working 5 days a week, seven and a half hours a day. In total I work 37 1/2 hours a week. My employer just informed me that they are going to start forcing us to work an extra day with the same hours. So therefore I would be working 6 days with 45 hours....

if i work the 6th day, would that day be overtime??
            CA Labor Code 510 requires the payment of time-and-a-half, premium pay when employees work more tha 8 hours a day (you do not) or more than 40 hours a week (you do). Accordingly, you should expect to receive 40 hours straight-time pay and 5 hours, time-and-a-half, overtime premium pay when you work 6 days a week - 71/2 each day.
            Last edited by BSPCPA; 02-20-2008, 10:53 AM.
            Barry S. Phillips, CPA
            www.BarryPhillips.com

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: This response is intended to provide general information and written for educational purposes only. It does not establish a client relationship. This communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to any party any matters addressed herein.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X