This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Use Of Point System?

We had a bad snow/freezing rain storm earlier this month, and 18 people called in due to the weather/road conditions. I called in 2 1/2 hours prior to work (started out 1 1/2 earlier than usual) to let my supervisor know my rear wheel drive truck was stuck in my driveway, which was a sheet of ice. I finally made it to work 30 minutes late. Everyone who had called in didn't get points, however the people who came in and were late got points. Why punish the people who made an attempt to come in? It seems a little unfair, but I got my paperwork stating that points were given to me on that day. I should also note I was the only person out of 5 others for my position that showed up, so without me, they wouldn't been up a creek! I called and let the supervisor know what was going on, so why am I being punished? I can see how if I hadn't called in, it might be different, but he knew I was trying! I live 48 miles from work, further than most of the people that called in!

Is this legal?

Seems unfair but it is legal.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The law does not address how an employer can invoke disciplinary or attendance policies. While I do not disagree that it seems unfair, there is no law prohibiting the employer from enforcing the point system in this way.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X