X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScottB
    replied
    Originally posted by bama16 View Post
    crazy...so there is no law offering an employee a break from their job...if an employer so wishes, there could be a 7 day work week? 2 days away from work in a week is a gift from an employer?
    Take heart.

Two states (that is all of 4% of the country) have limits on mandatory overtime for most employees.

Some industries in California cannot work you more than 72 hours a week unless you want to. All industries in Maine, with some exceptions, cannot work you more than 120 hours this week, so long as you worked no more than 40 hours last week and then they cannot force you to work more than 40 hours next week.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    And the employer is also free to fire you if you refuse to work the "extra" time.

Leave a comment:

• VeronicaLodge
    replied
    Originally posted by bama16 View Post
    crazy...so there is no law offering an employee a break from their job...if an employer so wishes, there could be a 7 day work week? 2 days away from work in a week is a gift from an employer?
    correct there is no law, but you are free to never accept a job that requires that of you and you are free to leave a job that starts requiring that.

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    Also, there is no law that says an employer cannot change an employee's assigned duties. However a change in duties might risk an existing Exempt classification.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    In most states and most industries, that is correct.

Leave a comment:

• bama16
    replied
    Last edited by bama16; 02-08-2008, 08:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    And yes, they can require you to work on your scheduled day off.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    Yes you can be fired for not coming in on a day you expected to have off.

Leave a comment:

• bama16
    started a topic forced to work on day off? CO Colorado

forced to work on day off? CO Colorado

i work for a company that is constantly adding to our list of "duties and responsibilities". the latest amendment has the manager requiring a set time for employees to come in and work...which is compensated but is extra above and beyond the 40hr work week. this time they have set happens to fall on my day off. a meeting got pretty heated when i was told that if i didn't come in on my day off make calls then we could have a meeting with HR. can i be fired for not coming in on my day off, can they require me to work on my day off??
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X