X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you do when employee lies to the labor board? South Carolina

South Carolina:

I had an employee who went to the labor board and filed a complaint about not getting paid for mandatory meetings. The mandatory meeting is really staff training mandated by the state that caregivers have annually, 15 hours in different areas, such as child growth and development, curriculum, safety, etc. The training itself is free of charge given to the caregivers by certified trainers with the state, they just have to meet at the center on a Saturday and have training instead of having to go to a college or Tech to take the required training and pay for it. She also complained that when other caregivers call in to say they would be out, she got stuck in the infant room with her toddlers, because the staff/ratio was off. There is not law stating that the children have to be separated by age groups, but we do separate them as a convenience to the caregiver and comfort of the children, but there are times that the children are grouped together to maintain the staff/child ratio. She also said that they were sometimes denied lunch breaks. And that she had to attend mandatory meeting each Friday for 6 hrs, and was not paid.

Anyway, that situation is resolved with the labor board they closed her claim. But the problem I am having now is that is still trying to cause trouble with false allegations against the center. Is there anything that can be done? She is no longer employed at the center. She hasn't called or shown up for work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    TyroArcher

Can you be more specific about what she is doing?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Yes, she is calling other caregivers at night trying to get them to take a day off and go with her to the labor board, and she has called the Department of Social Services and made false allegations about the staff/child ratio not being maintained. I have had parents tell me that they have seen her and she has said that their children are not being taken care of. It is starting to hurt the center. Our motto at the center is Children Come First With Us. I do not understand exactly what her problem is, she worked here for a little over 3 years, and she never brought any problems she was having to my attention.

I can deal with her false claims and stuff because I have proof, but it is very frustrating and time consuming dealing with it. I keep impeccable records when dealing with my staff and children and I also have video cameras in all the rooms to ensure the safety of the children and my employees. I don't know what else to do, it is not like she has made any threats other than to say she was going to shake this place up.
      TyroArcher

Comment

You might want to see if you can have an attorney send her a cease and desist letter.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank You!
          TyroArcher

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X