This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After hours compensation, Florida

I am currently working at a Sheriff's Office that is undergoing alot of budget cuts right now. For the past 20 years there have always been compensation for 2nd and 3rd shift employees. 2nd shift which is from 4:00pm to midnight gets and additional 5% while 3rd shift (midnight to 8:00 am) receives an additional 10%. They are telling us now due to county wide budget cuts that they are most likely going to take away all shift differential. Is there no Federal/State labor laws that says we must be compensated for working these hours?? Thanks for any advice.

No federal rules. FL is not my state, but I would be surprised if there are any state rules. Even CA (my state) does not have those kind of rules and FL is supposed to be (mostly) a "just like federal state". The employer would probably have to make such changes on a "go forward" basis only. Also, do you have a CBA? That could make a difference.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Not sure what CBA is?? I am a member of PBA (Police Benevelant Association). I was afraid of that (not being any rules regarding this). What exactly do you mean by 'taking steps forward" Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Unfortunately there is nothing that they can "make" the Sheriff's Office do. We are not union. Basically the PBA is there for representation/legal defense only.

Comment

There is nothing in the law of any state that requires a shift differential. Any recourse is going to be in the CBA, if you are union, in a contract, if you have one, or in any municipal regs that might exist.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X