This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exempt employee consecutive days worked how many Florida

I am a exempt employee in Florida. My question is how many consecutive days does the law allow us to work? Our company has regularly made employees to work on scheduled off days. It is not uncommon for us to work 28 or more days in a row due to the needs of the business. What legal recourse do we have?

FL has a reputation for not having much in the way of labor laws (other then a higher then federal minimum wage) so I am pretty sure that they can work you as many days as are in the year. According to an article I recently read, only 5 states have laws of this type, and none of them is FL.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The legal limit to the number of days you can be required to work in a year is 365. This, in Florida, is true regardless of whether you are exempt or non-exempt.

I thought it was seven states, but I could be wrong - I haven't checked recently.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

You could be right about the number of states. I said that the article discussed 5 states, but there is no guarentee that they did not miss some. I do not believe much that I read about state law articles because I am not convinced that anyone actually knows what is happening in all 50 states, including the states themselves. At my last employer, we subscribed to two of the three major tax libarary services and used to compare answers. The two services (BNA, CCH) used to disagree on the state rules with some frequency. That is one reason I hate answering state questions outside of my state because I do not really trust any of the sources that I have access to.

Also, leap years (including this year) actually have 366 days (nit picking!).
        "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
        Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Good points, all. Including leap year.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X