This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working while going to school (TN status) Virginia

I go to a law school in Chicago full time under F1 status. I am talking to a law firm in Va who wants me to move out there, work and go to school part time. This would require me to transfer to a school in VA or DC.

From what I understand, if I can get a TN status, I can work FT and go to school PT. If I am right, what kind of paper work do I have to show to the transferEE school? Will they accept my TN visa for PT program?

I guess they want me to start in June which leaves me less than 4-5 months to do paper work to get TN. Will the time be a problem for me?

I'd check with the schools you are interested in. Honestly, I have no idea if a TN will work for educational purposes. It is an employment visa.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

really? I thought TN allowed part time study..

Does anyone second this?

Comment

Elle knows more about employment visas than anyone I know. I've sponsored a few TN visas (granted it was a few years ago) and I don't remember any part time study application to them.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

ummm...

I did not mean to offend anybody... but I see several contradicting threads out there... please confirm...

look at the following:

http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums/c...me-vt2914.html

http://www.immigrationportal.com/arc.../t-255432.html

and a chart from NAFSA.
          http://www.webs.uidaho.edu/ipo/intls...NS%20CHART.pdf

so... ???
          Based on the above, there's no need for extra application for PT study provided TN. And how did you sponsor TNs? I thought no sponsorship was necessary for TN as long as the person applying had a job offer and a written poof thereof.
          ??? more confused.
          Last edited by cas79; 01-29-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Employment visas I know. Student visas, not so much. If you are a citizen of Canada or Mexico you can study on a PT basis with either a F-1 or M-1 visa and that is unique to those in border zones. Sorry but I don't recall the details of this, just that it is allowed. There should be something on it on the USCIS site.

If you are on a TN you can attend training that is incidental to your employment without a problem, but I'm not certain that extends to pursuing a law degree, even if done on a PT basis. The way I've seen it applied is to allow someone on a TN to take continuing education and professional development courses such as might be needed to stay current with their skills or maintain necessary certifications to do their job.

Again, I'd check with the schools you are interested in attending or the state department to see if a law degree obtained PT, qualifies. I've never had this come up before, so I really don't know.
            Last edited by ElleMD; 01-29-2008, 09:17 PM.
            I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Thank you.

Thank you so much. I've been searching for an answer for some time and this is the most satisfying of all..

I am checking the USCIS site now but when you said I am allowed to study PT with F1, do you mean that? I thought in order to keep F1 status up, one had to be enrolled FT and not miss many classes.

Comment

Don't go by me. It's been years since I sponsored a TN visa and all of them were before 9-11. I don't remember part time study being allowed on a TN but I'm not in a position to say that it's definitely not allowed, just that if it is, I don't remember it. It may simply be that it never came up with any of my employees on that visa.
                The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

There is an exception for those from Canada and Mexico. I believe it is limited to border zones, but I don't have the specifics. Since I wasn't hiring students in a border zone, and it has been a few years since I've dealt with this type of thing, I don't recall the particulars. You can find the info on the USCIS website but I dont have it bookmarked so you will need to do a search.

Comment

Foudn it.

For those who want to set a precedent for others, read this.

http://www.americanlaw.com/student.html

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                    Working...
                    X