This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lay Off and Re-Hire Michigan

My husband was laid off and, two days later, was brought back to work agreeing to an $8,000 pay cut. Two more days later he was told they had reinstated his previous salary and was no longer receiving the pay cut. He worked a fifty hour week then twenty more on the weekend (being salary, he was not compensated) and then was told on Tuesday that they would indeed be cutting his salary. Additionally, when he was brought back, he was told he would be working in a position with more authority and responsibility but was promptly sent back to his previous position due to their need for someone in that position. My question is, if he were to quit, could he still collect unemployment? Also, is there any law they have broken in their treatment if him? By the way, we are in Michigan.

UI decisions can be pretty strange sometimes, but I wouldn't count on getting UI if he quit. And no, they haven't managed things particularly well but they haven't broken any laws.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Unemployment in Michigan is up to 70% of pay ($362 per week max), and only 26 weeks long. It probably does not make sense to quit, but it may make sense to seek a new job.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X