This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wage info Alabama Alaska

Is it legal in the state of Alabama for your employer to post your wages on a bulletin board for all other coworkers to see? Things such as rate of pay, hours worked for the week, and how much your check will be docked.
    Last edited by NeedHelp4ME; 01-27-2008, 05:15 PM.

Probably legal. Wages and hours are not inherently confidential under law. In fact, there are laws that specifically state that employees are allowed to discuss their wages with each other and it is publically held companies tend to report officer compensation. It is very common for hour information to be very available because in work environments involving scheduling quick access to this information is often necessary. Many people (including me) would argue that posting everyone's wages publically is a great idea because it helps to prevent employer's from making reallly dumb wage decisions that need to be covered up later. Avis in the 1960s for example made everyone's wage information internally available for a few years. That was legal then, and is still legal now.

The "how much the check is docked" information is more complicated. Certain types of deductions such as wage garnishments have a certain level of indirect confidentiality associated with them. The fact that an employee has a deduction for medical insurance probably is not a big deal per se (almost everyone has one if medical insurance is available), but (hypothetically) the fact that the coverage is for a domestic partner might be.

Most payroll and human resource departments err on the side of caution and keep pretty much everything confidential, including many things that as far as anyone can tell have no real legal basis for confidentiality. Social security numbers and birth dates probably should be legally confidential but surprisingly mostly are not. Examples of things with actual legal confidentiality include medical conditions and visa information. Past that, it is generally a really dumb idea making any information available to an employee's supervsior and manager that you do not want them to be taking job actions on.

Now having said that could a employer go out of their way to take what would normally be a legal action (making salary information public) and turn that into an illegal action? Maybe. If (hypothetically) an employer were to publish salary information for female employees only, could this be a Title VII violation. I am not sure, but I would not be in any hurry to test that particular law.

In your case, look to exact what information is being made available and why.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Hours worked I can understand; that is a productivity issue.

The others, although there is basically no law that says the employer can't share everything but their underwear, it's a really dumb idea, IMHO, and doesn't serve any purpose but to pit one employee against the other.

Do you have any idea why the employer thinks this is a good idea?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X