Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Exempt employee terminal wages in MN Minnesota

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exempt employee terminal wages in MN Minnesota

    How do I determine what I should pay an exempt employee for terminal wages? The pay period was the 16th through the 31st. She started work on the 16th, worked the three days of that week remaining (Weds, Thurs, Fri), worked Monday thru Friday the following week, but when called on Saturday to relieve an ill employee when no other employees could fill in (her managerial responsibility), she chose to quit. She would have received comp time, for time worked, had she come to work. Do I pay her for 10 days based on 365 days per year? It was her first pay period. Hope that is not too vague! Thanks. I guess my question is, how many days do I owe her for? Do I owe her for weekends? Do I owe her for the day she did not work, but quit instead?

  • #2
    I am going to assume that you are talking about an Exempt Salaried employee. If not, please re-ask your question and provide more information. The Exempt Salaried rules are 29 CFR 541.602. According to those the rules, the "initial" and "terminal" weeks of employment only can be paid on a proportional basis. Your starting point is look at the pay period salary. All federal (FLSA) rules are based on the pay period. If you were to take number of days worked divided by number of working days in the pay period times the pay period salary, you would have a pretty good answer.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
    Philip K. **** (1928-1982)


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.