This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something Sounds Fishy Illinois

A city is involved in legal litigation over termination of an employee. The state appellate court ruled the board had to rehear the medical merits of the case and make another determination rather than termination for cause.

My queastion is this. The dept. just sent an email to the employees who worked with the terminated employee advising them they are mandated to come to the meeting. This dept. has a union contract that states the employees cannot be represented by the union unless it regards discipline. The city told the mandated employees in this email that there was no disciplinary matter so the union could not be called. Does this sound like double talk to call a mandatory meeting regarding a terminated employee. Why make it mandatory. If one doesn't show up the will more than likely receive discipline.

I must be missing something.

Sounds like you are being called to testify, with pay.

Since you are not being disciplined, the Union will not represent you.

Why would you want them there, if your job is not on the line?

Is there more? Could your testimony be damaging to you? If so, I suggest you contact the union and lay it all out.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

First there is nothing to hide. I question why the employees are being called in to this mandatory meeting with the City attorney. It is my understanding that this hearing is suppose to be about the medical merits. What does the employee input have to do with anything they are not doctors.

Comment

Originally posted by gpw View Post
        my understanding that this hearing is suppose to be about the medical merits. What does the employee input have to do with anything they are not doctors.
        True, you are not doctor's, but you will be able to tell what you saw and heard. For example (and I am making this up, as an example only) you saw the injured employee cutting wood at his house, an act that his doctor claimed was not possible in his condition.

Your observations of his acts and his words about his condition, even if not directed to you, could contradict the claims of his doctor about the extent of his injuries or illness.

Given that I have no details about the case, I can only guess at this point.
        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Ok, well the medical issues concern mental health. How do we as employees determine whether or not someone is suffering from a mental illness.

Comment

Originally posted by gpw View Post
            Ok, well the medical issues concern mental health. How do we as employees determine whether or not someone is suffering from a mental illness.
            You won't be asked to say that, I am sure. You will be asked to give your observations of the employee's behavior and your testimony on anything you heard the employee say.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X