This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not getting paid Ohio

The owner of the bar where i work does not pay us for our nightly shifts (among other shady things)- we only make tips- is that leagal? and if not how do i take action?

Are you an employee?

If so, the employer must pay you $3.50 per hour plus tips. If that total, divided by hours worked is less that $7.00 per hour, then the employer must make up the difference.

I ask about being an employee because it is very common for exotic bars to classify the dancers as independent contractors (and get away with it, legally). In such a case, the dancers not only are compensated solely by their tips, which may be well below minimum wage for the hours worked on a slow night, they may be required to PAY money to the bar for the privilege of dancing there. It is possible for that fee to be more than the tips earned in the night, so the dancer works several hours and leaves work several dollars poorer, not richer.
    Last edited by ScottB; 01-26-2008, 03:13 AM.
    Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Do we know the poster is an exotic dancer?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

What is your occupation - what do you do at the bar? Thanks.
        Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Pattymd View Post
          Do we know the poster is an exotic dancer?
          Nope, we don't, but that is the only job in a bar that comes to mind that could collect tips only.
          Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

i ended up quiting the bar - but no we are all bartenders - none of us have "danced" lol any help for my friends would be great tho

Comment

You should file a wage claim for that unpaid $3.50/hr. It should work, but it cost you nothing to try. The legal burden of proof is on the employer to show it is not owed.

Bartenders are certainly legally employees.

You might also want to read the federal tip rules.
              http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/wagestips.htm
              "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
              Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X