X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHIOMAN
    replied
    I dont have pay stubs,I get payed 800 a month, some times he will wait a few months and have me sign a check for the months he has paid me cash,
    So i cant produce any paycheck stubs big mistake i know.

Leave a comment:

• Pattymd
    replied
    The employer has to prove that he treated you as an employee by providing pay records, payroll tax returns, W-2s etc. He obviously can't do that. If you have pay stubs, that will be your best documentation.

Leave a comment:

• OHIOMAN
    replied
    Yes thinking about it I dont see how the irs would see it different.I accutully been working for him for 6 years.I always thought it didnt sound right but i need the money.AND ITS NOT MUCH,UNDER 10.000 A YEAR.(i am only allowed to make 800 a month i am on dissabllity,and yes they know )This person will try to work me full time on this salary but i dont do it.
    Do i need to start saving proof or is my story enough?For proof i mean right now i can go to the hardware store get an item on charge on his account but i have to sighn for it.should i start saving these reciepts?I think this will show that he buys the supplies.
    What i am worried about is that this person knows alot about the tax system and i dont have a clue and has money and i have none,
    Does he get some sort of tax break when he files what he has paid me?
    Is it some sort of bussiness write off for him?
    When he needs more help he does the same ,meaning they dont really have a bussiness ,he creates one and sends them the tax paper at the end of the year.So I cant understand why he even bothers with the tax part cause im sure he knows the money he should be paying if we are "employees".And cant understand if he knows this could come back on him.or he must think i am to stupid to figure it out.thanks

Leave a comment:

• ScottB
    replied
    The employer (and the company is your employer, you are its employee) is trying to save $ by not paying FICA (their cost, 7.65% of your pay), unemployment taxes and workers comp premiums.

If you were an independent contractor, you would have to pay a self-employment tax (basically your share of FICA and the company's share, too), have zero unemployment benefits should the company terminate your services and, if injured on the job, no indemnity payments or medical expenses covered by a workers comp insurance policy. Flip side is that the employer has opened itself up to a general liability claim.

As pointed out, above, fill out the SS-8 and file with the IRS. I have no idea how long they take to address such a problem.

There are cases where the call on IC or employee may be tough, but this is not one of them. The company is taking advantage of you and you really would be best off finding a better employer. Almost any other employer is bound to be better.
    Last edited by ScottB; 01-25-2008, 02:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OHIOMAN
    replied
    What does shell game mean? Right now i am making payments on taxes for the past 3 years.And to be honest i dont know anything else i should have been paying,Like i said i know nothing of running a bussiness,
    I did some research on this ss-8 form,Now if they declare "bob" is my employer will he be responsible for all the past taxes etc,,,I have all the tax papers he sends me at the end of the year under this made up bussiness that he created.
    Also i guess they will send him a ss-8 form to so i will probally have to quit,which i am in the process of applyin for jobs right now.I guess what i am asking is can he lie on the form ?Can he take any actions against me?

Leave a comment:

• Betty3
    replied
    Seems like an employer/employee relationship to me. Other opinions, please.

Leave a comment:

• OHIOMAN
    started a topic Independent contractor? Indiana

Independent contractor? Indiana

i have worked for the same person for 3 years, i get an monthly salarie,I was told by this person they will put me as a bussiness.But really i dont have a bussiness
    i dont know the first thing about running one.In fact i only get paid by this person for the work i do.
    example= i wash dishes for this person so this person says, well we will call this joes dishwashing service,but i dont make any money washing dishes elsewhere.i only made money washing dishes for this person for 3 years,this person buys all supplies etc.WELL now i am in a big tax mess,and someone told me this person is taking advantage of me and the irs...So is this legal and should this person be responsible to pay these taxes? thanks
    Last edited by OHIOMAN; 01-24-2008, 03:54 PM.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X