This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worker Safety? Oregon

The company I work for has told us that we are not allowed to wear any kind of hats while on duty, this is not true for everyone in the company, only at certain work sites. My site requires that we spend 90% of our time outdoors, and currently in inclimate weather conditions. The temperature is below freezing.

Is this illegal? Most of the other officers who work this site want to wear knit stocking caps, solid in color (black) which match the uniform, but the owner of the company decided yesterday that no one is allowed to wear them. We are freezing outside.

Is there a reason they do not want you wearing hats? Are all types of head gear prohibited or just the style you prefer? Have you asked if there are alternatives? Perhaps a headband? No law states you must be allowed to wear a hat at work.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Flexible

I would be willing to wear any type of hat that they would allow. Its cold outside.

Similiar law enforcement companies wear knit stocking caps, and several of them allow beanies even. I don't understand why the owner of the company I work for is against it.

Comment

You'll have to ask the owner. Seems silly to me but it doesn't violate any laws and there may be a reason for it or a compromise that can be reached.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

There is a chance that OHSA has something to say.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

http://www.rvda.org/AM/Template.cfm?...entDisplay.cfm
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
            Working...
            X