X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erTraumaNurse
    replied
    Contacting the union

Hi JoeC, no I haven't. We are not in a union here. I wish we were because I don't think these kind of things would be happening. I have been physically sick over this. I feel like I'm walking around with a bulleye on my forehead. I am so fearful that when I return to work on Thursday that I will be terminated. The most frightening thing is I don't even know why. I haven't done anything to warrent this. All of the Administrative people who we are supposed to be able to file a complaint with have been in these meetings, so I really don't have anyone at the hospital to turn to. I just need help from somewhere but I don't know how to get it.

Leave a comment:

• erTraumaNurse
    replied
    Update on Hostile work environment

Well, I know it's been a few days since I gave an update so here it is. We had our meeting on Thursday and discussed a "new no touch, no talking" policy for the ER. On Sunday January 27, my supervisor and I went head to head on how I was assigning the staff to rooms. On Friday Feb 1, I was given a written counseling for the issues we had resolved on Sunday. Today Feb 4, I was suspended for 3 days without pay for the very same things as Sunday and Friday. Understand that I haven't even been in work all weekend. They are headhunting and I am the target. I don't know what to do now.

Leave a comment:

• erTraumaNurse
    replied
    Hostile work environment in Alabama

Thank you for the helpful info. I have looked at the link JoeC provided and plan on discussing this with my coworkers this weekend. My supervisors have called a meeting for this evening with specific staff members, including myself. I'm sure that this issue will be the topic of conversation. I will give an update later. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• cbg
    replied
    In any state, you can be fired for recording conversations without permission, so I suggest caution before taking fenceline's suggestion.

A hostile work environment has a very specific meaning under the law and what you describe does not meet that definition.

This would not fall under any "whistleblower" laws, which in most states requires that you have reported ILLEGAL activity to the appropriate regulatory agency. It does not count for internal complaints except in rare cases that do not appear to apply.

It *might* be protected if you report the physical attacks to the police, but I'd get an Alabama lawyer's take on that before trying it.

Leave a comment:

• fenceline
    replied
    In Alabama, you can secretly record private conversations so long as one of the parties in the room, during the conversation, knows it's being recorded. That would be you or any other interviewee. If they are threatening you with dismissal for 'blowing the whistle' on misconduct, would that not be a violation of the 'whistle blower's act' ? Some here may be able to answer more thoroughly than I.

Leave a comment:

• erTraumaNurse
    started a topic Hostile work environment Alabama

Hostile work environment Alabama

Hi everyone, I would appreciate any suggestions or advice on this matter. I work at a large hospital in the ER. We have a clincial manager that has worked there for about 4 years. His father is in Administration. Since his employment, he has had several confrontations with varies staff and the anger and violence is steadly increasing. He now harrasses, verbally and physically, the nursing staff in our unit. His verbal assaults consist of demeaning remarks like ,idiot, a--hole,dumbf--k, degrading remarks, referring to the female staff as, c--ts, bit--s,and *****s. His physical assaults consist of pinching, poking, pushing, pulling hair, elbowing staff in the stomach. Anyone who tries to defend themselves with a verbal response is immediately suspended for insuborination. Most recently with threats of termination. We have reported this on numerous occasions over the years to our immediate supervisors but no action was ever taken. Within the last 2 weeks, these complaints have been taken to Administration of the hospilat which has now turned into a witch hunt in the ER. Our supervisors and our Clinical director has been interviewing employees about being threatened, harrassed, and physically abused. Anyone who admits to being a victem of his assaults, is being told that if they persue this in anyway, that action will be taken against them, ultimately resulting in termination. Those that have had this "confidential" interview are now being verbally threatened by this specific clinical manager because of their honesty. My question is, who do we contact next? What should our next move be? None of us wants to loose our jobs and we certainly can't depend on our adminstrators to protect our rights. Any suggestions? Thanks for any adivse who may give.
The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X