Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

I signed a release can I still collect? Pennsylvania

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I signed a release can I still collect? Pennsylvania

    Job position terminated 1/18 after 7 1/2 years with the company. Company offered me a severence package of PTO of 10 weeks (paid bi weekly)providing I sign a "release".
    They noted in the contract that they will not contest my claim for unemployment.
    Does this mean I can still file for UC?
    Do I have the option of asking my employer to pay my severence in a lump sum?
    What are my chances?

    Thank you kindly

  • #2
    Go ahead and file for UC. Whether or not they approve you while you receive severance is up to the state. You can always ask for it lump sum but it is anyone's guess whether or not your request will be granted.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.


    • #3
      If you get it in a lump sum (which the employer doesn't have to do), you can file immediately, but you will need to report the severance payment. Whether that will delay your benefits or not, I couldn't find the answer on the UC website.

      If it's "salary continuation" (for lack of a better term), I wouldn't even bother filing now. In this scenario, what will they show as your date of termination?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      • #4
        filing with severence

        the date of termination would be 1/18/2008

        thank you


        The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.