This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Questions

1st. I am working at a major fast food restaurant in Massachusetts, manager says that because we are a restaurant they don't have to honor the Sunday time & a half pay.

2nd. That same place of employment has an unbusy season, now. They base there labor force on last years sales at this time. I went from 40 hours to 26 hours, is there a law that actually says that they can't drop full-time employees below 32 hours.

The restaurant is not a corporate one, it is privately owned by a NH based company. Any insight on some actual Mass law that is online accessible.
    http://hometown.aol.com/april19th1775/

1.) If I am not mistaken, they are correct. The MA Sunday time and a half law does not apply to all employees. To the best of my knowledge, only retail stores are required to pay time and a half for Sunday work.

2.) No, there is no such law. They can drop you down to zero hours if they don't have enough work for you.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

re #1 - you are correct; in retail Sundays in Ma. are paid at time & one-half.
      Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I did not know that about Sundays in MA. Thanks for the info.
        Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

MA and RI have that law. RI's is a bit broader. They are the only two states, as far as I know, that require time and a half for any employees for Sunday work.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X