This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about sick time

I was in a car accident on Monday and I have been off work for five days. My doctor tells me I may need to be off an additional week which would be a total of 10 working days. I have 15 days of unused vacation time. I asked my employer if I could use 10 of my vacation days. My employer said yes but that I must also apply for short term disability. Why would I have to apply for STD if my vacation pay will cover this time? Is this fair? Why do you think my employer would be doing this?

What is the name of your state, please.

Do you qualify for unpaid job-protected federal FMLA leave or a state version of family medical leave that you could take & then also take the STD to get paid while you are off?
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
      What is the name of your state, please.

Do you qualify for unpaid job-protected federal FMLA leave or a state version of family medical leave that you could take & then also take the STD to get paid while you are off?
      OTOH, why would you want to use up your vacation time (except for any possible waiting period) instead of receiving disability benefits?
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

My understanding is that short term disability pays only a portion of your salary. Since I will only be off about 2 weeks, I'd rather use my vacation time and receive all my salary. The company is in Wisconsin but I'm the IL sales rep.

Comment

That's true, but don't forget that, if you purchased the policy with after-tax dollars (and your employer is not subsidizing the coverage), the benefits are not taxable. So whether or not you would be losing much, if anything, is going to depend on what tax bracket you're in.
          I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I never paid into it (to my knowledge). this is something the company provides.

Comment

Originally posted by sickntired2 View Post
              I never paid into it (to my knowledge). this is something the company provides.

Well, your paystub would have to show if you were contributing. With that information, I agree that the benefits would be taxable.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X