This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excessive hours? Texas

I am a computer support person. They did away with the night shift becuase the night people got a 10% shift differential. The night shift came to day shift. Now, we take turns working the night shift. Since we have 5 people, our schedule rotates on a 5 week rotation. Here is our 5 week schedule. work 2 weeks 8 am - 5 pm, being off the weekends. Then, we work 7 days in a row, with Sat & Sun being 12 hr shifts. We are then off Mon& Tues. We work Wednesday during the day, then work nights starting Thursday nights. We work seven nights in a row, for 12 -14 hr shifts. Off Thurs,Fri,Sat,Sun, report to day shift again on Monday morning for the day shift. Repeat schedule, though sometimes we have to work Mon,Tues,Wed during the day then start our 7 nights in a row on Thursday.

Oh,yeah, we're also on call. Since we are not on nights for 90 days in a row, we do not qualify for the night shift differential.

We are exempt, salaried, no overtime. Granted, it is a crazy, confused, very physically difficult schedule with all the shifting between day and nights but, is there any legal basis for us to complain?

Not if you are exempt. Your employer can legally ask you to work any hours they choose. Even if non-exempt it is legal, they just owe OT.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
    Working...
    X