This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostile Work Enviornment California

there is a peer in my office whos husband was shot recently and testified against his shooter. my peer has made several statements that she is worried for her and her familys safety following the shootong and court hearing. they only have one car so her husband drives her to work and picks her up after work most days. when he picks her up he comes into the office to wait for her and pick her up. i am not at all ok with this and feel that our corporate office or office manager should address this before saomething happens. am i in the wrong to think that this should be addressed immediately?

1) This does not qualify as a hostile work environment under the law (not even close.)

2) Who is allowed on the premesis is entirely up to management. If they don't have a problem with the husband coming in to wait for his wife, then that's the end of it.

Comment

Even though we work in a medical office and have patients in the office...? I guess I feel that her husbands issues with the law puts our office staff and patients at risk. What's to keep someone from following him into the office? It is also more of a concern now b/c her daughter just got her working papers and will be working in the office occassionally. So he will be around more often.

Comment

There is nothing to prevent anyone else from doing something like this. This can't be the only employee or patient with a volitile ex, or other unsavory character in their life. The company can take action if they feel it is warranted but they do not have to ban the husband from the job site.
        I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

1.) This is not even remotely close to meeting the legal definition of a hostile work environment, which has a very specific meaning under the law.

2.) It doesn't matter what industry you work in; the law does not say that your managment has to ban the husband from the workplace. They are free to allow anyone in that they choose to.
          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X