X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cyjeff
    replied
    The cops are not referees, though they are used like that sometimes.

Cash the check and file.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    It isn't going to affect the wage claim in any way. If he assaulted you, you can file a claim with the police. To be honest though, unless you have some sort of physical injury, they aren't going to do much.

Leave a comment:

• timford86
    replied
    What about the act of basically using physical violence on his part to put me out the back door. Can this in any way help my case?
    Tim
    P.S. sorry so many questions. Not something I've ever had to deal with before, nor something I would have ever imagined happening.

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    No cashing the check does not affect your ability to file a claim.

Leave a comment:

• timford86
    replied
    Thank you,
    Today I went in to take care of measures of money owed. I was basically told here is your pay which came out to 659.26 which is about 150 hours short of what pay I should of been owed. I calmly let him know that I would be contacting my lawyer as well as the DOL. He then pushed me out the back door before I was able to even grab my car keys, and told me if i was seen on his property the police would be called. I had to go back in the front to get my car keys in which he went back to me and was saying, "you don't think im serious, call the police someone call the police." I was able to grab my keys and left. Now my question and problem. I need money any money if I cash this check am I in anyway forfitting the rest of the lost income?
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• ElleMD
    replied
    Here you go http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wa...wpremedies.htm

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/essclaimform.htm

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/ui/

And you can get UI in MD if you are fired. It takes and act of God to disqualify you in this state. Now if you quit, it is much harder and it is iffy whether not being paid for 2 months would qualify as reason to quit as opposed to remaining employed and filing a wage claim. What can I say? This state is screwy.

Unfortunately the DLLR is not the force it once was. Depends upon who is sitting in Annapolis on any given week and whether the legislature can play nice long enough to keep it funded. In other words, don't expect them to jump all over this.

Leave a comment:

• timford86
    replied
    I have been searching the web to see where and if i could find a complaint form. Is this something I would have to go about in person or is there a form online I could get?
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• timford86
    replied
    No, I put alot on the line when not getting paid. I have had a job ever since I could legally hold one, and put thousands away in savings over the years. So with the two months i went unpaid I dove into that stash and have now diminished what took years to build.

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Originally posted by timford86 View Post
    Thank You! I have learned to be more wise with my actions and who I trust in certain situations. As much as I would of loved to see this place float with all my hard work, and the contacts I have made it is not worth getting "shafted".
    Tim
    By the way... this is also why you NEVER EVER work for a long period without getting paid!

I swear... everyone else must be independantly wealthy. If I went 2 months without a paycheck, my family would starve...

Maybe you were making tips on the bar... but still...

Leave a comment:

• timford86
    replied
    Thank You! I have learned to be more wise with my actions and who I trust in certain situations. As much as I would of loved to see this place float with all my hard work, and the contacts I have made it is not worth getting "shafted".
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Originally posted by timford86 View Post
    I don't like to use threats, but would it be unlawful if I went in tomorrow, and the check he gives me does not fairly represent the work and Hours I preformed, could I threaten to obtain a lawyer or follow through with contacting the proper sources to gain what I am rightfully owed? Also could I hit him for loss of wages I would of obtained from my other job, or was this kinda a live in let learn situation in that respect.
    Tim
    Absolutely threaten legal action.

You cannot, however, sue him for the money you might have made somewhere else.

Leave a comment:

• timford86
    replied
    I don't like to use threats, but would it be unlawful if I went in tomorrow, and the check he gives me does not fairly represent the work and Hours I preformed, could I threaten to obtain a lawyer or follow through with contacting the proper sources to gain what I am rightfully owed? Also could I hit him for loss of wages I would of obtained from my other job, or was this kinda a live in let learn situation in that respect.
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• cyjeff
    replied
    Agreed.

You are being royally shafted.

Here is what you do. Go back to your friend tomorrow. Work up an exact accounting of every hour you worked.

multiply it by the agreed upon amount per hour that he brought you in under.

Then, tell him that if he doesn't pay you every dime that he owes you, you are going to contact the Department of Labor and get yourself a lawyer. The Department of Labor will give him a financial enema and you will sue for whatever the state doesn't seize.

The Department of Labor action won't cost you a thing... and all you will have to do to prove SOME of your hours is to start bringing into the hearing the depositions of the other people you worked with during the hours in dispute. It won't take long before the other employees figure out what is up and start quitting before THEY get shafted.

He will pay or go out of business.... or both.

Leave a comment:

• DAW
    replied
    That, or file a wage claim with your state's department of labor.

Leave a comment:

• timford86
    replied
    Any Ideas on who I need to contact. Maybe get myself a lawyer?

Leave a comment:

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
Working...
X