X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hired for 10 hours, working 40 North Carolina

Hello!

I am a State employee in NC. I was first hired for ten hours a week because "it was all they could offer" (later on I found out they told the same thing to other employees). Although I am officially working ten hours, I am REALLY working 40 hours a week -or more- from day one.
    The thing is: If I'm hired for less than 20 hours I don't get any benefits, vacation or 41k.
    It's been 3 months already and my supervisor says that my contract CANNOT be changed (he promised me he would change it once I "started working more hours"... but the fact is I worked those hours from the very first day). They have no intention to change this.

Now, my question is... is that legal? What can I do? I have all my pay stubs showing all the hours I've been working.

Thank you so much for your help....!
    Last edited by DieHexe; 03-02-2009, 06:56 PM.

Employees of government have very different regulations sometimes. There is nothing in general labor law that is going to require the employer to make you "full-time" (whatever that means) for purposes of being eligible for benefits. If there is something in the state law itself, specific to state employees, you would have to check with the state itself. I'm thinking maybe the Civil Service Commission? Or your union, if you are covered by a union contract.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Would she have a case if they offered others, who worked 40 hours benefits and not her?

Comment

Originally posted by TM1 View Post
        Would she have a case if they offered others, who worked 40 hours benefits and not her?
        Maybe, if the circumstances were identical.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X