This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slander Illinois

I am an outside sales person with a healthcare company.
    I am only in the office once a week for approx. one hour for a staff meeting at 8 am.
    I have been in the workforce in healthcare for approx.30 years.
    After I drink coffee and before eating lunch I am hyper from the coffee.
    My hands tremor slightly. I have been to a doctor to discuss this problem to make sure I did not have a neurological illness.
    A manager whom I see only one hour every week has decided that my hands shake because I am going through dt's.
    She is a very gossipy women and gossips about every one.
    However, I recently learned that she has been talking about me to my boss, our GM, my peers, and competition in the market as well as my customers.
    Telling all the above that I am experiencing DT's because of a drinking problem
    This apparently has been going on for about 6 months without my knowledge.
    No one in management addressed it with me the gossip was allowed to continue until I found out from a co worker some months later.
    My reputation in the company has been damanged as well as with my customers and the market in general.
    What should, could, can I do?

1. What should, could, can I do? Switch to decaf.

2. My reputation in the company has been damanged as well as with my customers and the market in general. You haven't commented on any actual loss that you've had, i.e. you haven't been fired, lost out on a promotion, had an organization decline to hire you because they "heard" you were an alcoholic. It's possible that nobody believes the rumor.

3. Speak with your manager and/or HR immediately. This woman needs to be told to shut her big mouth and stop spreading rumors. (Doing so is optional on management's part though. No laws compel employers to address problems like this.)

4. If management doesn't handle this, you should. You need to be professional about this but you certainly may tell her you've become aware of the rumors she's spreading and that you are outraged that she would spread such a vicious and undfounded lie.

Comment

Always be professional. Never stoop to their level.
      Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

After you switch to decaf coffee or some other non-caffinated drink, I would find some way to bring it up in conversation with clients.

"Coffee?, Oh no thanks. I was drinking it and realized it was giving me the shakes . I'm now drinking water"

Sets the record straight in a subtle manner without making a big deal of it.
        I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
        Thomas Jefferson

Comment

2." My reputation in the company has been damanged as well as with my customers and the market in general. You haven't commented on any actual loss that you've had, i.e. you haven't been fired, lost out on a promotion, had an organization decline to hire you because they "heard" you were an alcoholic. It's possible that nobody believes the rumor"

I was transferred to another location by the regional sales manager so the manager who was involved in the slander would not have interaction.
          The location I was transferred caused alot of problems for my clients, poor quality of work, etc and I did in fact lose my best client because of the move to another location.
          I had asked the Regional Manager not to transfer me because I knew that it would cause problems with my clients.
          In fact it did which adversely affected my income.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X