X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts OT law

Hi There,

Just wondering. I am a subcontractor for a technical company. My job title is a Systems Adminitrator.

I get paid houlry at the rate of 35$ an hour.

After a few weeks on the job we were required to work more then 40 hours but only getting paid straight time and not time and 1/2. I called the company asking them why they did pay time 1/2 and they said once you make x number an hour they dont have to pay time 1/2.

I think they are wrong and did some research and all I can come up with is that there is NO cap on what you make per hour. If you get paid by the hour you get time 1/2 after 40 hours in one week.

Now that the year is over I have worked 282 hours of overtime last year.

Am I entitled to $17.50 x 282 hours?

Thanks Probowler
    Last edited by probowler; 01-04-2008, 01:04 AM.

It sounds like the employer is treating you as exempt under the Computer Professional exemption, which doesn't mandate overtime pay at all.
    http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/complian...a_overview.pdf

However, what exactly do you do? I think I remember seeing a couple of DOL opinion letters that stated that Network Administrators (depending on their duties) did not meet the criteria.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 01-04-2008, 01:27 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I am a systems adminstrator (defined as level 3 server support)

If a server goes down we are responsible to bring it back up.

Same thing with e-mail or printing services.

I also must add that I have been contracting under the same job title for 7 years and weather it was 20$ an hour or 40$ an hour I always got paid time 1/2. This is the only company who has not.
      Last edited by probowler; 01-04-2008, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Need more detail on your job duties. Do you follow technical manuals and established procedures? This is one of the opinion letters I was thinking of:
        http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/opinion/F...26_42_FLSA.pdf
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X