Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on Vacation: Who is Responsible to Find Replacement? District of Columbia

Is it the responsibility of the GM to find replacements for staff going out of town if given ample notice?

I told my GM on October 1st that I had to go to NYC in November for Thanksgiving. He told me I had to find my own replacements and if I couldn't, then he wouldn't give me permission to go.

I always thought that it was only the employee's responsibility to find a replacement if he was giving last minute notice. A month's notice is more than enough time for the GM to find people to cover, right?

Who is responsible for finding shift replacements -- and I would really appreciate if anyone had a legal document (DOL, etc.) stating that it's his responsibility so I can show him.

Thanks!

Doesn't exist because there is no law that states that he has to even give you vacation much less how that vacation is staffed.

He can tell you to find your own replacement simply because there is no law that says he can't.
    Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

Originally posted by cyjeff View Post
      Doesn't exist because there is no law that states that he has to even give you vacation much less how that vacation is staffed.

He can tell you to find your own replacement simply because there is no law that says he can't.
      what if I'm a part time employee who isn't even eligible for PTO?

In this case, who is right and who is wrong -- or since there are no laws on it -- or is it just a question of whether I have a good manager or not?

Comment

It's not a matter of right or wrong. It's a matter of company policy.

Nothing in the law addresses this situation.
        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

so then whatever he says goes, huh? That's not very fair, but I guess there's nothing I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by animal2b View Post
            so then whatever he says goes, huh? That's not very fair, but I guess there's nothing I can do.
            Try working his job for a day or two and you may change your opinion of what is fair or not.
            Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

Don't forget the GM, I'm sure, is getting paid more than the OP.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                Try working his job for a day or two and you may change your opinion of what is fair or not.
                My GM is incompetant, anti-semetic, lazy, and careless. He had three WEEKS to find a replacement for one of our employees who was unable to find a replacement on her own and neglected to do so. Then, he neglected to inform me that there would be no one coming in after my shift, leaving me sitting, wondering when my replacement would arrive.

When I called him to inquire, he said no one was coming in and I would have to stay. I asked why he hadn't told me earlier and his response was, "I'm telling you now." Maybe he feared I would say no if he had requested earlier.

Before he arrived, our old GM used to take responsibility. If he couldn't find someone, he did the right thing and sat at the desk (I work the front desk at a gym).

Part of the responsibility of a General Manager is to pick up all the slack when there is a scheduling conflict. He doesn't want to do this. If I was GM, even for a day or two, I would take full responsiblity and accept ALL of my requirements as GM.

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
                Don't forget the GM, I'm sure, is getting paid more than the OP.
                Well, I get about 7.50 per hour and he gets about 22.50. That is regardless. In the end, I guess what it comes down to is who wants to take responsibility for the job and who doesn't. I just always thought it was a GMs duty to fill in last minute if there were no employees able to do so.

Comment

The guy sounds like a Grade A Jerk, but there's no law that addresses who is responsible for finding coverage when an employee is absent. It's entirely up to company policy.
                  I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Well, I get about 7.50 per hour and he gets about 22.50. That is regardless. In the end, I guess what it comes down to is who wants to take responsibility for the job and who doesn't. I just always thought it was a GMs duty to fill in last minute if there were no employees able to do so.
                    I was agreeing with you. I was saying since he gets paid more, he should take more responsibility.
                    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

I was agreeing with you. I was saying since he gets paid more, he should take more responsibility.
                      gotcha. Yeah, he should, but he won't. Some guy, huh? I heard a rumor that he's looking to move on -- but isn't it strange that the lowest paid employee in the company (me) has the most responsibility out of the whole **** group?

Comment

The manager gave the OP the option of finding someone or not going.

It is not uncommon for companies to have employees get other employees to cover their shifts for their personal time off.

Beats the heck out of a manager telling John that he can't have the weekend off so that Joe can and threatening to fire John if he refuses the mandatory overtime in order to give Joe unpaid time off.
                        Senior Professional in Human Resources and Certified Staffing Professional with over 30 years experience. Any advice provided is based upon experience and education, but does not constitute legal advice.

Comment

But the bottom line is, whatever anyone thinks of the boss's management skills, no laws have been violated.
                          The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Before he arrived, our old GM used to take responsibility. If he couldn't find someone, he did the right thing and sat at the desk (I work the front desk at a gym).Well, I get about 7.50 per hour and he gets about 22.50.
                            Now that's a GM who takes responsibility & is worth what he gets paid. However; as cbg noted to answer the OP's question, there is no law that says the GM has to find an employee's replacement.

Comment

You are going to find very very few managers willing to step in and cover so that there employees do not have to find a replacement. If in 3 weeks or more you were unable to find a replacement, where was the manager supposed to dig one up? Did you speak to the manager about the fact that you were having difficulty doing so? How hard did you try to look for someone?

As someone who recently covered my direct report's job for several weeks while she was out unavoidably, I can tell you it is not as easy as just sitting at her desk. I and the GM, still have our own jobs to do and that doesn't change because our direct reports are out. While I don't mind doing so occassionally, and when there is a good reason, if everytime one of my reports wanted to take time off I got stuck filling in, I'd be a very highly paid substitute and little else. If you know up front that you need to find someone to cover, start planning ahead.
                              I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                              Working...
                              X