This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing Cash Drawer, Punish Everyone? Oregon

My wife recently started working at a Large Corporate office supply store. She is a cashier. There system for their cash drawers is starting the day with one drawer that several employees share, and it is not dropped and counted until closing.
    The Problem: The drawer has been short around $100 on a few occasions, and the management handled it by "writing up" all of the employees that used the til throughout the day........ including my wife. Other employees are often counting and dropping drawers that other people used throughout the day.... and vice versa. If an employee gets three write-ups in 90 days time.... they are terminated. My wife is a very respectful and honest young lady, and trust me, there is no doubt whatsoever that she has no involvement in any kind of theft, let alone the thought of it! The point being.... how can this be legal? Is this not crazy that they have everyone share drawers and then when a problem arises with the count, blame everybody?
    The main question: Is this not unlawful termination if my wife is written up a third time for someone elses thievery? Please help! What can be done? What are the laws, so we can prepare ourselves with a knowledge of these laws. Happy Holidays!

Wrongful termination means that a person is fired in violation of a specific law that would prohibit the termination. There is no law that requires an employer to conduct a thorough investigation when a cash drawer comes up short, and no law that prohibits them from disciplining every employee who uses the cash register when it does. While I don't agree with how the store is handling things, this falls in the category of unfair but not illegal.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

Also, there are no laws that dictate when an employer may and may not write someone up.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

Thank yOu!

Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate you taking the time.

Comment

I've been a former cashier at a number of places. One place I worked issued each employee his/her own code. This code was punched in before an employee would attend to cash transactions.

Most of the other places I worked unfortunately had managers that were less stringent when it came to cash transactions. I've found this to be more the norm from my experience.

That being said, it is not surprising that your wife is stuck in this situation. While I am unfamiliar of the laws relating to this issue, I would definitely suggest that your wife review the company's policy manual. If they're a rather large company, they should have a written policy about cash handling. If she does not find information there, I suggest that she request something in writing from her managers or contact the company's corporate office. This definitely sounds like an issue that is related to poor management supervision and implementation of company policies. However, if the environment is that lax, there may be a chance that management is involved in the theft. Hence why they may be reluctant to investigate the situation.

From the information in your question, I do not believe your wife should be held accountable for the cash shortage or written up at all. However, what should happen, and what does happen do not always align.
          Best of luck.
          Last edited by curiousQ; 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X