This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• must clock out before seeing doctor for work injury Michigan

I was injured at work the other day (minor injury to the hand) and reported it to the supervisor. He asked if I wanted to see the doctor. I said that it didn't seem too serious but I wanted to let him know just incase it became a problem later. Within 2 days the injury became obviously worse. When I asked to see the doctor I was told that I would have to wait until after work or punch out and not get paid for the time that I was at the doctor. This doesn't seem right! Is this legal?

If you are a nonexempt employee, time spent seeing the doctor at the company's request on the day of the injury is compensable under the FLSA. Any time other than that, it's up to the company policy. Do you not have sick pay?

If you are exempt, you must be paid for the whole day if you work any part of it, at least under these circumstances.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

We have no sick pay. If you get sick you must use vacation days, but the rub is that you must give 24 hour notice for vacation days and there can't be more than 3 people out of the 60 working there scheduled off on the same day or you vacation day will be denied. I can't begin to tell you how many good people we have lost from this poor policy
      thanks sag

Comment

I'm assuming, since you mentioned "clock out", that you are nonexempt?
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what non exenpt is But I must punch in and out and am considered an (hourly) employee.
          As for the having to see the doctor on the day of the injury to be paid, wouldn't that encourage everyone who gets a bump or scratch to go to the doctor. Also, our company has a tendency to make things dificult for those employees who get injured
          Thanks
          sag

Comment

If you're paid hourly, you're almost certainly nonexempt.

Regarding on-the-job injuries, not every injury requires a visit to a doctor or the ER. If the employer is the one who sends you on the day of the injury, it's compensable.

Comment

Thank you for the information!
              Sag

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
              Working...
              X