This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom break Texas

My daughter works for a national retail clothing chain. She has been told she is NOT entitled the priviledge of use of the bathroom while she is at work. Is this really possible?

OSHA regulations require employers to provide adequate bathroom facilities and to not impose unreasonable restrictions on their use.
    I am not able to respond to private messages. Thanks!

Comment

I honestly don't see how that could be legal anywhere regardless if the worker is part-time or full-time.

It sounds like either the manager (or possibly another employee) said this as a joke or the manager said it as a joke. If the manager was serious and didn't allow your daughter to use the restroom then there should be repercussions.

Just curious, how is your daughter? Child labor laws are different than those of adults. But regardless of age, the right to use the restroom isn't a privilege; it's a right.

Comment

Are the bathroom request frequent?
        Is there someone to watch register while this break is being taken?

Retailers often have problems with lunches and such due to needed coverage.
        http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Surely someone can cover her job duties while she takes a bathroom break.

Who told her she could not take a bathroom break?
          Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Some add'l. OSHA info: In 2006 OSHA, the US government's health and safety enforcement agency, issued an "enforcement memorandum" clarifying the law on access to toilet facilities. It states that under the sanitation standard "the employer must not impose unreasonable restrictions on employee use of the facilities" and that "the standard requires employers to allow employees prompt access to sanitary facilities."
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Originally posted by Betty3 View Post
              Surely someone can cover her job duties while she takes a bathroom break.

Who told her she could not take a bathroom break?
              Not always Retail often runs bare minimum on slow days. The there are times that one employee may be on break or lunch and ahving another employee leave leaves register unattended. I am saying its right but it happens. I use to be a department head in a retailer and saw this happen although not often. I still would want to know how often are these requests made and is it right after or right before a break period? Is it when there are no other staff present (possibly on break) to cover.

Comment

A memorandum written by OSHA's directorate of compliance programs in 1998 explains that OSHA's interpreation of the standard [requiring acccess to bathrooms] requires employers to make toilet facilities available so that employees can use them when they need to. The employer may not impose unreasonable restrictions on employees' use of facilities.

nanat, if you want to find the exact memorandum, you can do a search at www.osha.org.

Comment

Link to above mentioned;

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ONS&p_id=22932
                  "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate'' - Sir William of Ockham, a.k.a. Ockham's Razor

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
                    Not always Retail often runs bare minimum on slow days. The there are times that one employee may be on break or lunch and ahving another employee leave leaves register unattended. I am saying its right but it happens. I use to be a department head in a retailer and saw this happen although not often. I still would want to know how often are these requests made and is it right after or right before a break period? Is it when there are no other staff present (possibly on break) to cover.
                    I still believe there must be someone who can cover for her sometime during the day while she takes a bathroom break - mom said she doesn't have the privilege of using the restroom while at work.

Comment

I have seen retail staff very poorly however I cannot say this is the case here. Nor can we say Mom is getting entire story from daughter.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X