X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repay a business expense after quitting Kansas

Hello,

I recently moved on to a new job in Kansas, but before I left my previous job (also in Kansas), I had signed up for a continuing education class, and I expensed the full amount of the class. The expense was approved, and I was reimbursed for enrollment, but I ended up leaving the company before the class took place, and I was able to cancel my registration and get a nearly-full refund on the credit card I paid with. My manager told me that I would probably need to pay the money back, so I asked them to take it out of my final check. They didn't, and a month later, they contacted me, asking for their money.

I was told they couldn't take the money out of my final check because I didn't sign anything giving them permission to do so before I registered for the class. This would have been required, because I expensed the class, rather than handling it as a tuition reimbursement situation. I find this odd, because my termination papers stated that any money I owed the company would be docked from my final check.

Anyway, after they contacted me, I replied and requested a bill, stating how much I owed, and the purpose. I didn't want to send a large sum of money out of state to corporate headquarters without some documentation. They replied that the bill was being drafted, and that they were curious as to why I demanded a bill, when I acknowledged owing them the money.

The whole thing seems rather fishy, especially how they don't seem to want to send me a bill, and that the bill has to be "drafted." My question is, since this was an approved business expense, are they legally entitled to get their money back? I suppose morally, I would pay the money back either way, but the way they seem to be trying to push me around here lately makes me think twice and doing the "right" thing, if I'm not legally required to do so. I would also think that if they were legally entitled to the money, then they would have just taken it from the final check. Any suggestions?

My question is, since this was an approved business expense, are they legally entitled to get their money back? Yes.

I would also think that if they were legally entitled to the money, then they would have just taken it from the final check. Many States wage and hour laws require that the employer obtain the specific written approval of the employee, citing the dollar amount of the deduction, is necessary before a payroll deduction can be made.

I think you're the one making much ado about nothing. You owe them the money and you know exactly how much you owe them. Just send them a check and be done with it.

The whole thing seems rather fishy You're reading something into nothing and I fail to see how they're pushing you around.

Comment

Nothing wrong with requesting documentation for the repayment. You'll need it to substantiate the deduction for your taxes.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X