X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced Vacation Day - Pennsylvania

Greeting,

I'm a first time poster with a question from Pittsburgh, PA.

The (employer) is requiring attendance at a three-four hour afternoon In-Service event, which is mandatory. Notice of this went out several weeks ago.

Two days ago, a casual email was sent to all (affected) employees to advice on a change of venue, provide the address, time, etc. Additonally, the email said that "business casual" attire was mandatory specifing "no jeans, sneakers or t-shirts."

As a person who (among many here) wears jeans, t-shirts and sneakers every waking, I b rought htis up with my supervisor. Today she reported back that those of us who chose or could not abide by the dress-code could take a vacation day.

It's important to note, that at no time during my tenure with this employer, has there ever been mention of a dress code. Additionally, they claim that it is not the University's policy, but th epolicy of the rented venue.

I find this rather bizarre and appalling, and on principle wrong. I am wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on this, and/or refer me to other sources of information. This mandatory event is in three days, and I would very much like to be as informed as possible.

thank you very much,
    amp
    Last edited by cbg; 12-13-2007, 09:20 PM.

Perfectly legal. Your choice to make. Certainly not the hill I'd choose to die on.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

What's bizzare or appalling about it? Every organization I have been a part of always included similar statements to remind people that business casual doesn't inlcude jeans, t-shirts or sneakers.

If you found that to be bizzare or appalling, then you are really trying to pick a fight you have no chance of winning and being pretty self centered IMO.
      Somedays you're the windshield and somedays you're the bug.

Comment

Here is what you do.

You get everyone together and complain about the dress code. Say that it isn't fair to make you dress professionally even though they are paying you.

I guarantee that if there isn't a dress code now, there will be then.

They could have, legally, required you to attend in wetsuits and snorkels if they wished... especially if the venue required it.

No jurisdiction is going to state that it isn't the employer's right to demand a professional appearance... especially when the judges you appear before are all wearing either a tie or heels.
        Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

One more point... it is also legal to fire you if you don't show up and/or show up properly dressed.

That would be really hard to explain to your next employer.
          Not everything that makes you mad, sad or uncomfortable is legally actionable.

I am not now nor ever was an attorney.

Any statements I make are based purely upon my personal experiences and research which may or may not be accurate in a court of law.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
          Working...
          X