This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deduction from last paycheck in south carolina South Carolina

I was a salaried exempt employee for a company in South Carolina. Upon taking this position, I had a weeks vacation that I had to take about a month into this job. My employer agreed to this and paid me for it. However, they did not deduct this 40.0 hours from my accrued PTO. I did not even realize they were going to deduct this time. Anyway, I continued to take PTO up until I quit the position last week. All of my check stubs and payroll journals showed me every pay period that I had available PTO. At no point was I ever told that my PTO was negative because of this vacation I had taken back in June. On my last paycheck, my employer deducted this 40.0 hours of PTO and shorted my check over $1,000. I was never told that I was negative in PTO or I would have never continued to take PTO over the last five months. My employer also continued to allow me to take PTO, and never once verbally or in writing told me that I was negative in this time. I gave a full two week notice and worked that time, but my last check was cut by 40.0hours because of this "negative" PTO. When I asked them about it they told me that the payroll system did not allow them to put PTO in as negative, and that is why it continued to show on the reports and my check stubs that I still had PTO available. However, as I stated I continued to take PTO and use it because I thought I had it available from all of the information that had been given to me. Do I have any recourse on this shortage of my final paycheck?

Why on earth did you think that you could take a vacation without it being deducted from your PTO?
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

I thought they did

I thought they deducted the PTO initially because in the first 90 days PTO accrual does not show up on my paycheck stub. When it did show up after that I had assumed everything was correct. I never thought I had negative time, and they never told me I had negative time and continued to let me take PTO and pay me for it.

Comment

I'm not saying they shouldn't have corrected the balance that was passed to your pay stub. But, OTOH, there was nothing preventing you from asking why it had not been.
        I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
        Working...
        X