Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Minimum Wages for On-Call Employees Florida

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Minimum Wages for On-Call Employees Florida

    If an employee is scheduled to be on call 24 hours a day when not working scheduled daily shift, does the employer legally have to compensate the employee? What is the minimum wage the employee should be paid?

  • #2
    That depends entirely on how restricted the employee's movements are. There is no requirement (in any state) that an employee be paid simply because they are on call. If the employee can go about his personal business and only has to keep a cell phone or pager in his pocket, responding to a call within an hour, it is quite unlikely that he would have to be paid for that time andwould only need to be paid for any time he was called in. But if he is unable to leave the house and must respond to a call within 5 minutes, he would have to be paid for all the time. To the best of my knowledge, the time he was on call but not actually working would only have to be paid at minimum wage, but one of the payroll people can confirm that.
    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


    • #3
      I agree with cbg. Even if pay is required for on-call time, it can be at minimum wage in your state.
      I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.