Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

slander? California

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • slander? California

    I worked for a hospital for almost seven years. When I put in my resignation I was told by HR that the only information they can disclose to future employers is that I worked from June of 2000 to February 2007. I was offered a new job last week, today they called me and asked to see me tomorrow - they heard from three different people at the hospital that I have a "very poor attendance record". I am extremely upset about this. I really need this job and don't understand how staff at the hospital could legally say those things about me. Please help.

  • #2
    They can legally say anything that is true, that they believe to be true, or is their honest opinion whether the info is positive and/or negative.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

    Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.


    • #3
      It is a myth that the only information that can be released is dates of employment. If it is true that you had a poor attendance record there is nothing whatsoever illegal about your employer disclosing that.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.


      The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.