Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Working overseas for US company Arizona

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The abandonment of your green card does not automatically absolve you from U.S. Income Taxation - regardless of whether you are out of the country for six months or six years. More specifically, your residency status for income taxation purposes may not occur until you file a completed Form 8854 with the IRS and notify the Department of Homeland Security of your termination of residency, eventhough the USCIS may deem your green card abandoned.

    Point Being: Depending on your individual facts and circumstances (including how long you have been present in the US as a permanent resident before you leave for France), the termination of your permanent resident status for immigration purposes may not be tantamount to termination for tax purposes. More specifically, you may have to file Form 8854 with the IRS and notify the Department of Homeland Security of your termination/abandonment of residency status.

    I am not going to argue with you about this matter any further. Suffice to say, you have been amply warned to consult with a CPA and/or tax attorney in your local area to review the application of US income tax laws to your particular situation.

    Au Revoir!
    Barry S. Phillips, CPA

    IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: This response is intended to provide general information and written for educational purposes only. It does not establish a client relationship. This communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to any party any matters addressed herein.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.