Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Possible Wrongful Termination Arizona

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Possible Wrongful Termination Arizona

    I work in a 55+ park in Arizona. It's a HOA and our Board of Directors are considering not allowing the employment of homeowners. About half of our staff do live here. Can they fire these existing employees based on the fact they are homeowners?

  • #2
    Home owners are not a protected class so I would guess they can


    • #3
      Of course all of these employees range between the ages of 60 & 85. Might that help their cause?


      • #4
        Not unless the reason they're not being hired is BECAUSE of their age. If the BOD is making a policy decision not to allow the employment of homeowners by the assocation because of difficulties that could arise by the joint employment-homeowner relationship, that's legal.


        • #5
          You would think - here, an election is only called by the Board of Directors. So if they make a decision that's that. They are so bad that when they had an election on something else last year - it failed. Six months later they passed it at a meeting where few were in attendance. It's so frustrating. It's just not looking good for our homeowner employees. Maybe a recall would be in order!


          • #6
            Sounds like the homeowners need to vote the current Board out AND revise the bylaws.


            • #7
              You could always argue disparate impact discrimination.

              Better to vote out the current board though.


              The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.