This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travel expense reimbursement timeliness Massachusetts

I work for an employer based in MA and travel extensively for work on their behalf. On these trips I go out of pocket for all expenses with exception of airfare which is pre-paid by my employer. In a typical month I will incur expenses that are approximately equal to my take home pay, so it's no small matter.

I am required to submit written reports of each of my appointments on these trips. The policy up until now has been that these reports were to be filed by the end of the month in which the appointment occurred.

Today I had an expense report returned to me for a trip that I took last week. I was told that expense reports wouldn't be signed off until my visit report from the prior week was filed... this is in the middle of the month and these are not "late" as defined by the policy that has been in force to date.

Enforcement of the "filed by month end" policy has traditionally been very lax and it is in fact just a verbal policy. A lot of my coworkers are lax about getting these reports filed on time, so in frustration our boss decided to institute this new policy of no reimbursement until reports are filed...

I could say, well no big deal, just get the reports filed immediately, but these are time consuming reports that take about an hour each to complete. On a typical visit I may have a dozen visits, so I'm looking at a minimum of 12 hours spent on "reports" post trip in addition to all of the other follow up work I need to do for the people I visited with on my trip, performing my other duties, and securing future appointments. Further exacerbating this situation is the fact that it generally takes 3-4 weeks for reimbursements to be posted to my account... to add ANY time to this process is unacceptable to me... I'm already providing my employer with interest free loans on a regular basis.

So, is this legal?

Yes it is legal.
    I post with the full knowledge and support of my employer, though the opinions rendered are my own and not necessarily representative of their position. In other words, I'm a free agent.

Comment

Well, legal or not, it's just one more policy that provides a disincentive to do the work that actually yields revenue - the face to face sales calls. It may time to start returning those recruiter's calls.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
      Working...
      X