This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firing on resignation Massachusetts

i work in mass. and I put in my two weeks notice. is my employer allowed to fire me before the two weeks is up?

Actually its not a firing. You quit he is just letting you leav early its still a resignation. No they are not obligated to keep or pay you for those two weeks. many companies do this to protect them selves from theft of products, customers, ideas etc.
    http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

so then he should be allowed to file unemployment, correct?

Comment

cbg, DAW will know better but no I would think not because he resigned. However he has nothing to lose by trying so why not
        http://www.parentnook.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by panther10758 View Post
          cbg, DAW will know better but no I would think not because he resigned. However he has nothing to lose by trying so why not
          Actually, I knows zip about UI claim issues. Sorry.
          Last edited by DAW; 11-18-2007, 07:50 PM.
          "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away".
          Philip K. **** (1928-1982)

Comment

Normally if you give two weeks notice & they let you go right away, you can file for UI for those two weeks.
            Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

Please also refer to http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=182418 which I just got done reading.
              Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. Leo Buscaglia

Live in peace with animals. Animals bring love to our hearts and warmth to our souls.

Comment

You can file for UI for those 2 weeks. However since some states have a 7 day waiting period, it means you only get UI for 1 week.
                I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
                Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I am in MA. MA allows for unemployment in this instance. There is a 5 day waiting period.

Comment

HRinMA, I am also in MA and at least as recently as three years ago there was no waiting period at all. When did it change?

(Not arguing, asking)

BTW, OP, you were not fired; your resignation was accepted immediately. And that's perfectly legal.
                    Last edited by cbg; 11-19-2007, 07:52 AM.
                    The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

At my previous employer, we used an outside company to handle our claims. It was my rep there who said it.

I did look on the state website and got the following

Waiting Period

By Massachusetts law, the first week of your claim for which you are eligible to collect benefits is your waiting period. Every effort will be made to pay benefits three weeks from the first week you filed your claim, if you are deemed eligible. The total number of weeks for which you are eligible is not reduced by this waiting period.

I did have a couple of claims for accepting the resignation immediately. As far as I can remember they collected only the one week.

CBG, if you find I am incorrect please let me know.

Comment

As I said, I'm not arguing. Between three and five years ago I was collecting unemployment and I collected from the first day;. But laws have been changed before and I'm sure they will be again. Of course, my company was in the process of going out of business; it wasn't a case of quitting and being walked out the door.
                        The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                        Working...
                        X