This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• comp time Kansas

What laws apply to comp time for exempt employees?

First of all, are you a private employer or public? Only public employees may be offered comp time in lieu of OT.

They generally must elect whether they want OT, Comp or may elect on a case by case basis.
    Its the same as OT, time and a half once the person has worked over 40 hours in your workweek.
    We have limits on how many comp hours can be accrued (and ours differ by job class). Once you reach those hours, you must be paid out.

It is treated like any other time off but supervisors must allow them reasonable opportunities to use it.
    I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Exempt employees in the private sector may be granted comp time. But there are no specific laws about it; it's when and whether the employer wants to offer it, and if so, on what basis.
      The above answer, whatever it is, assumes that no legally binding and enforceable contract or CBA says otherwise. If it does, then the terms of the contract or CBA apply.

Comment

this is a taxed-based entity

Comment

cbg is correct. I was thinking of comp time relating to OT.
          Exempt employees may be offered straight time compt time without endangering exempt status.
          Thomas Jefferson

Comment

"tax status" has nothing to do with it. When we say "private sector", we mean in contrast to the "public sector", which are employers that are governments or an arm of the government, such as public school districts.
            I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Are you a City, County, School district, State govt,?
              Thomas Jefferson

Comment

county hospital

Comment

Even so, the OP was asking about exempt employees. So, there is not an overtime consideration here.

Viccy, here is a thread regarding incentives for exempt employees. Might be interesting reading.
                  http://www.laborlawtalk.com/showthread.php?t=182191
                  I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses.

Comment

I guess I missed the exempt part. Sorry.
                      Thomas Jefferson

Comment

The LaborLawTalk.com forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on LaborLawTalk.com are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of LaborLawTalk.com. LaborLawTalk.com does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.
                      Working...
                      X