Complete Labor Law Poster for $24.95
from, includes
State, Federal, & OSHA posting requirements


No announcement yet.

Over Time Ohio

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Over Time Ohio

    I recently started working at at shipping company in Ohio and the company has a volunteer Badge Meaning if want to work outside your shift you use this badge. Now if you use this with your regular badge you can work 40 hours on each and not get overtime. To obtain this badge you have to fill out a separate set of tax and company documents. Is this a legal way for a multi-million dollar company to get around paying overtime? On another note I work at a giant airfield and we are required to pass through security and ride a 10 min bus ride to our work bulding. so to be at work at 11:30 you need to be at the employee center at 10:15 or so. What are the laws on this.
    Last edited by Plateauu37; 11-11-2007, 04:48 AM.

  • #2
    I'm a little confused, but is the extra "badge" work for the same company or related companies? If so, the hours must be combined when determining overtime.

    There are some arcane exemptions from overtime, though, if you are covered under the Railroad Act, which sounds nonapplicable, but I've found it does apply to some airport employees.

    Relative to your question regarding security, I would opine that the Portal-to-Portal Act would be applicable, as this is required time. You can call the federal DOL to confirm.
    Last edited by Pattymd; 11-11-2007, 05:17 AM.
    I don't respond to Private Messages unless the moderator specifically refers you to me for that purpose. Thank you.


    The forum is intended for informational use only and should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice. The information contained on are opinions and suggestions of members and is not a representation of the opinions of does not warrant or vouch for the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any postings or the qualifications of any person responding. Please consult a legal expert or seek the services of an attorney in your area for more accuracy on your specific situation.